Christmas Break Blog EC

Stereotypes is a concept that never goes away, indestructible. Reading Sold had be thinking a lot about society values and what a girl is "suppose to do".

I always thought about how much girls had to get ready before going out. I would say " wow I wish I were a boy" so that I wouldn't have to wear different clothes or to put on make up in public. Every year, going to hoco, girls always have to choose a new dress, spend some money, put on a nice appearance, and all of it, and it can't be the same as last year because everyone has seen it. But the boys, all they have to do is put on a tux, in fact they can wear the same one every year, brush their hair, put on some shoes and done. In fact they could do the same every year and no one would say a thing, "they looking handsome in their suits", and they all have similar ones. So why do girls have to spend all this extra money and get dolled up? To impress our friends and boys.

Boys could wear the same 3 clothes paired differently for a whole year and no one would say a thing. But if I wear a shirt that I wore last week I receive, " Didn't you wear that last week". Whether its noticeable or not but in a sense, were in the spotlight at all times but unconsciously at it.

You must have seen the ad "Like a Girl"

As I watched this, in the beginning when some people were reenacting the scenes like a girl, I didn't feel it to be abnormal, I felt like it was funny in a sense but I didn't think more of it. But as the video went on and they asked girls to run and throw, I was like, wow, that is what this ad was about. The fact that in the beginning I felt it to be so normal to watch it, makes it feel like all these stereotypes have been filled in my head, and I live by those, so there is nothing to be mad about or prove when people stereotype because it has become such a normal part of our daily lives that we don't find it to be offensive. That's  when it hit me as, I am a girl, I could fight back all these stereotypes, but there are also more that 3.5 billion women in this world, but they still live through.

My mom is always telling me, be calm and polite in public, dress nicely have manners, people are watching you because you are a girl. I wonder, why don't they watch boys? Why can boys get in trouble and mess around and goof off, and their stereotype is, "oh yes boys are so troublesome". Why do I have to live as an orderly girl in society for me to be accepted, but boys can do whatever and people laugh it off.

I'm glad my father raised me differently so I would be strong enough to face people independently, while for the sake of society I have to try and retain a girl image for myself as well, but it cant be helped, one voice can't change the way the world thinks, I'm not saying its impossible, but also from another perspective the statement could be true.

Comments

Popular Posts