Book Club: Blog Post #1

Hello! I have started a new book called Sold by Patricia McCormick. I chose to read this book I wanted to read about a different Human Rights issue that is not greatly covered in my past book. I also am not as well informed about the issue of Human Trafficking, so I thought that reading a book that includes so many emotions and such a closely connected story to help me better understand the issue of Human Trafficking would be a good new experience where I could learn something new. Patricia McCormick has twice been a finalist for the National Book Award, she is author of several critically acclaimed novels. As I read this story and am introduced to characters like Lakshmi and Ama, I realize through the setting of the story, the way Lakshmi describes it, she is grateful for what she has. She has very little but makes do with what there is. Lakshmi goes beyond just what she sees and is required to do, she thinks about what a women's role in society stereotypically is and why it is that way. Through her first menstrual cycle, they way her mom made her understand the various things she is expected of presenting herself now that she is a "grown woman". I was actually able to connect to the story as the mindset carried in the area she is. As the setting is set in a place close to India which tends to carry the same values as Indians do, I could connect to a lot of the stories and rituals she was expected to carry as I had to do so as well. 

Comments

Popular Posts